Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

My First Lipstick - The One That Turned Me Off

This is post is a spin off from The Lipstick Bandits' first collaborative post for 2012 (I started out reading My Women Stuff's article here). Their theme for it really set my brains to work, and while I was typing responses to some of the articles, I found myself having more and more to say, that it has now become a post on its own.

I hope you'll enjoy reading "The True Singapore Girl's Story", even though my makeup experience is really short, and may seem a bit negative about lipsticks. hahaha, but there will be Part 2!

******

I remember, it was back in 2006, when I first did part-time work, that I wanted to start putting on makeup. The big question in my head was, so where do I start? Where do I buy from? How do I know what are the basics I really need?

It was in that same period that mineral makeup started gushing into mainstream, and I saw an interview of the owner of Make Up Store. And that article answered my biggest questions, because it dawned on me that all I needed to do was go down to the store, walk in, ask the sales assistants for a makeover, and ask them to introduce me a basic set.

That I did. Basic, but expensive basic set I got.

To side-track first, it was actually a luxurious feeling, walking in to a boutique store, sitting under bright lights, in front of well-lit mirror, and have two people fussing over me.

Back to the first lipstick, and so, the sales assistants picked for me my first lipstick, in a colour I would call a sort of mauve pink.

That valley in the top of the lipstick was caused by me dipping the lip brush right into the lippie. haha. And I did it because this is what my mum does to all her lipsticks. Moreover, it never occurred to me that I would like to swipe the lipstick directly on my lips, as it would look too bold for me. I don't do this now, as I've learned the value of swiping lipstick straight on. I brush my lip brush on the back of the lipstick instead.

Happiness didn't last long because I found out that contrary to my childhood belief, lipsticks, or maybe just the Make Up Store lipstick, is very drying.

To side-track again, I have issues with almost every single Make Up Store product I got that day! If anyone is wondering why Make Up Store didn't take off like M.A.C, it's probably the bad quality of its products. But I will elaborate one by one should there ever be another chance to write stories.

It was so drying that despite putting lipbalm, which I bought from Make Up Store as well, I couldn't stop my lips chapping! I said in my old post, how good the Aroma Balm is at healing, but it doesn't works under the horrid, horrid Make Up Store Lipstick!

******

The name of this lipstick is Poppy, and it is actually a pretty rose vale colour. It was chosen for me by the sales assistant. I'd have to say that she made a great, great choice, as any rose tone lipsticks are arguably the best for first timers. Till now, I find it hard to find an exact same shade in other brands.


I thought that this lipsticks has that same matte taupe undertone as a couple of others, so I swatched them together. But to my surprise, my other "similar" lipsticks are in fact all quite different!

Left to right: NYX Round Lipstick in Paris is a mauve lilac pink (lol, very complicated colour), Make Up Store in Poppy is a rose vale with a slight sheen, and Maybelline Colour Sensational in Crazy for Coffee is a reddish brown.

******
All Make Up Store products price extremely similar to M.A.C, so this lipstick didn't come cheap. And the very notion of me using it only a few times, and finding it unusable, then having to chuck this at the back of my drawer really did made me so disappointed.

I've always regretted spending a bomb on Make Up Store products.

******

And so, that episode set me on a big search for the best lipbalm, and also on lipstick-hate and lipgloss-love.
(By now, I have indeed found the best lipbalm, but I still can't stop my obsession for lipbalms, but that's another story.)

And then, it's on to the other story about lipglosses, and the great search for a good lipgloss, starting with the L'oreal Glamshine. But really, that's another story altogether, and that's it.

That's pretty much it for my first lipstick and how it turned me off.

I rekindled my love with lipstick, but I feel that will be the Part 2 of this story. Do check out the rest the links I've inserted along the way for more stories! So thank you for your time, I will see you and my next post, and have a nice day! =D

How about you? What is your first lipstick? And did it turn you on or off?

Yours truly,
Jyoan
PosiNice

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar